Residential Occupancy Permit

To obtain an Occupancy Permit, first verify your jurisdiction through the West Baton Rouge Assessors map or contact our office. 

The Office of Community Planning and Development, Permit Office, performs third party safety inspections for all occupancy requests throughout the Parish, except in the Town of Brusly. Whether you are renting, buying a new home or building a home please follow the checklist below:

  1. Contact the WBR Parish Public Utilities Department to start or transfer services.(Water, Garbage, Gas)  225-336-2406
  2. Call your electrical service provider to start or transfer services and obtain a new account number which will be needed for permitting. Entergy 1-800-368-3749 or Pointe Coupee Electric 225-638-3751
  3. Contact the Planning and Development Office AKA Permit Office to pay for an occupancy. Fee $10. 225-336-2434
  4. Once the permit is processed an Inspector will schedule a meeting to preform a safety inspection.
  5. If the inspection fails the problems will need to be addressed before requesting a re-inspection 
  6. When the inspection has passed the permit office will forward the approval to the residents electrical provider for power. Please note that Entergy or Pointe Coupee Electric may take 48-72 hours before starting services.